History of our Denomination
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1810 by Rev. Samuel McAdow, Rev. Finis Ewing and Rev. Samuel King in McAdow’s log cabin home located in Dickson County, Tennessee. A replica of Rev. McAdow’s cabin now stands where the three founded the church, and a sandstone chapel commemorating the event has been erected nearby. These two buildings are two of the main attractions in Montgomery Bell State Park outside of Dickson, Tennessee.
This new denomination arose to minister to the spiritual needs of a pioneer people who turned from the doctrine of predestination to embrace the “Whosoever Will” gospel of the new church. “Cumberland” came from the area’s name (the Cumberland River valley); “Presbyterian” described the form of government.
By 1900, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was the third largest Presbyterian or reformed body in the United States.
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church maintains a four-year university, Bethel University, in McKenzie, Tennessee, and a seminary, Memphis Theological Seminary, in Memphis, Tennessee. The Cumberland Presbyterian Center, also located in Memphis, Tennessee, houses other church boards and agencies. Cumberland Presbyterian congregations can be found all over the United States as well as in several foreign countries (Japan, Hong Kong, Columbia, South America, etc.) but are primarily located in the American South and West.
More info can be found here at cumberland.org.